Monday, April 25, 2011

Por Que?.....What Did You Call Me?

In my newly revamped position as Content Manager for Leadsbyfone, I find myself in the unusual position of breaking one of my own rules, namely, having to search for writers to hire within an extremely limited budget. 

Now I firmly believe that writers are worth something, so the idea of offering somebody pennies for their talent is a fairly noxious one.  To add insult to injury, the only place to go to find talent that is willing to work for that and not be insulted is the Philippines or India or some other exotic location where $20 a day is still considered righteous bucks.

Of course the problem inherent in this arrangement is obvious.  If you’re born and raised Filipino, or Indian, or Malaysian, or Baptist, or Buddhist, or flutist, or nudist, it’s a pretty good bet that English isn’t going to be your first language.  Well, actually I don’t know about the nudist part, but moving right along…..the fact is that many of these people who are well qualified writers in their neck of the woods wouldn’t cut it in a sixth grade literary contest here in the states, proving beyond all doubt the notion that when you say something, or write something down, it depends on what part of the world you’re standing in that determines just how stupid you are.

Which of course means that my job won’t be changing that much, because even the best writers hired will require a significant amount of editing, if not outright rewriting before the material can be allowed to see the light of day. 

But it’s okay, if seven hundred monkeys can type for seven hundred years and one of them turn out the works of Shakespeare, then I’m guessing my meager little Filipino staff and I can churn out some content about water damage. 

I’m starting to think I shoulda paid attention in Spanish class, or whatever it is they speak over there…

No comments:

Post a Comment