Thursday, August 26, 2010

On A Magic Carpet Ride.....

I’m a big fan of hardwood floors, and by George the next house I have is gonna be all hardwood.  Why, do you ask?  (and if you’re asking then you obviously have WAY too much time on your hands)  But I’ll tell you….I’ve simply had enough of dealing with carpet spills.  Even the most minor problem is a bear to clean up.  You dab and soak and scrub and clean and disinfect, all the while praying that there won’t be an unsightly stain.   And then, later on, “what’s that smell?”  The one time I had to deal with major carpet flooding was enough to make me a hardwood convert.

In the case of major carpet flooding, my suggestion would be to call in an airstrike and start all over again with new, preferably waterproof carpet.  However, if you are one of those that are unnaturally attracted to your carpet and wish to restore it, I’ve got good news for you.  If your carpet has been wet for less than 48 hours, it can probably be saved.  The bad news is, you’ve got a mountain of work in front of you, honeychile.

As with any water damage, you have to first get the excess water out of your carpet, which will prove interesting, because carpets can absorb a LOT of water.  Use a wet-dr y vac or something similar.  Getting the water out will make the carpet lighter and easier to lift.  Yes, children I said “lift”. 

You’ll need to take the carpet up at the tacks and take it outside to dry thoroughly.  Lay it out flat on a driveway or patio to dry.  Be sure it’s flat; otherwise it may not fit correctly when it’s time to re-install it.  Are you sure you wouldn’t rather just throw it out?  I’m just sayin’….

While the carpet is drying, go to work on the floor.  Pull up and discard all wet or damaged carpet padding and throw it out.  I don’t care how handy you think you are, you’re never gonna repair this stuff.  Just trust me on this one, okay?

The floor will also need to be dried and cleaned, and then you should check to make sure it hasn’t warped or cracked.  If it has, well, that’s a whole ‘nother chapter.

You’re also going to have to check your drywall (inside and out) for signs of swelling or other damage.  Drywall may have to be partially or completely replaced, depending on just how spectacular of a flood you had.

And while you’re at it, make sure you check out the electrical system, or better yet have a qualified electrician do it for you.

I think you can begin to see why I’m a big proponent of hardwood floors.  To me, carpet just isn’t worth the trouble.  But I am here to serve, and part of that includes offering advice even when I’m absolutely certain the people who would take it are nuts.

Okay, next time we’ll talk about something exciting, like mold.  I can’t wait, can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment